2017 Election

Election Day is Tuesday, September 26th, 2017 – make sure you cast your vote!  Click a tab below for more info:




Councillor At Large:

  • Michael Tiller
  • Winston Perry
  • Beverley March
  • Lorenzo Welcher
  • Dawn Stagg
  • Andy Best
  • Terry Gill

Ward I:

Kelvin MacDonald – Acclaimed

Ward II:

James Cox – Acclaimed

Ward III:

No Nominees – a By-election will be called @ 1st meeting of new council

The General Municipal Election will take place on Tuesday the 26th day of September, 2017 between the hours of 8:00 am to 8:00 pm.

Polling booths will be located at the following locations:

Ward I S.U.F. Hall, Badger’s Quay

Ward II Jubilee United Church Hall, Wesleyville

Ward III Newtown Fire Hall, Newtown



Voter Info

Eligible voters need to meet the following criteria:

  • You must be a Canadian citizen
  • be 18 years of age on election day
  • be a resident of New-Wes-Valley for a minimum of 30 days

Please note that if you have recently moved into the area, just turned 18 or changed your name you may not be on our voters list.  In which case you should go here to submit your information.

Why Should I Vote?

Municipal government is a vital part of what makes our communities and cities healthy and thriving.  Our local Councillors work hard to ensure we have clean drinking water, safe streets, adequate healthcare, decent schools for our children to attend, regular garbage disposal and snow clearing, reliable street lights, local amenities, public transit, and much more.

By voting on election day you are exercising your right to have a say in who helps form our municipal government.  You are actively doing your part to ensure we have leaders in place who will best deliver the services we enjoy every day.  By voting you ensure that our democratic process remains alive and well and is working for future generations.

Voting By Proxy

If you are unable to vote on Election Day, you may vote by proxy. In order to vote by proxy several conditions must be met:

  • you must be on the voters list
  • you must be at least 18 years old
  • you must apply to the returning officer via application form (available at the town office)

Voter FAQ

Q. If I am a town clerk, manager, department head, or fire chief, can I run as a councillor?

A. No. If you work for the council, you cannot run as a councillor. Furthermore, as a town clerk, manager or department head (including fire chief) you are not eligible to request a leave of absence. If you are a volunteer fire chief you can request a leave of absence.

Q. Can I run as a candidate in a municipality to which I owe taxes or other charges?

A. No, you are not qualified to be a candidate if you owe taxes or other charges to that municipality.

Q. Can I run as a candidate if I have ownership of a company that owes taxes?

A. It depends. If you are operating as an unincorporated business entity and you are personally accountable for the amounts owed, you cannot run as a candidate. If you are an owner of a corporation you will not be disqualified to run as a candidate since corporations are a separate legal entity.

Q. Does my nomination form need to be signed in front of a Returning Officer?

A. Yes.  The  proposer,  seconder  and  candidate  should  all  be  present  to  sign  the nomination form in the presence of the Returning Officer. Where a candidate is unable to be present for their nomination, one of the proposers may sign a special nomination form on the candidate’s behalf in front of the Returning Officer.

Q. Can I get the list of candidates before nominations are closed?

A. No. The nomination list will be available within 7 days after the nominations have closed. A candidate may remove their name before the nominations are closed and that information will not be released.

Q. Do I have to be ordinarily resident in the municipality for 30 days prior to the election day to be able to vote?

A. Yes. The same residency considerations as detailed above need to be considered for voting, as well as running as a candidate.

Q. Are post-secondary students considered residents?

A. Yes, if they meet the required residency requirements. However, a student has to choose where to vote as they are only allowed to vote in either the municipality where the student is residing while at school or in the municipality where the family home is located, but not in both.

Q. What type of identification do I need to vote in a municipal election?

A. If  you  are  already  a  registered  voter,  specific  identification  may  not  be  required. However, you should confirm this with the Returning Officer. If you are not registered as a voter, you will likely be required to show satisfactory proof of your identification and residency.

Q. When  should  a  newly  elected/acclaimed  councillor  be  sworn-in  after  an election?

A. A term of office shall begin within two weeks of being elected.  Note that before starting a term of office a councillor must be sworn-in.

Q. Who has the authority to swear-in a newly elected/acclaimed councillor?

A. The Returning Officer has the authority to do the swearing-in.  A Clerk, Provincial Court Judge, Justice of the Peace and Commissioner for Oaths may also swear-in newly elected/acclaimed councillors.

Q. When does a newly elected council have to have its first meeting?

A. The Town Clerk or Returning Officer shall call a meeting within fourteen days of the election.

Q. I think that a municipal election was not carried out properly. What can I do?

A. A petition detailing the alleged complaint needs to be presented to the provincial court within 30 days of when the election (or alleged action) occurred in order for the matter to be reviewed by the court.

Q. Are in-kind contributions considered campaign contributions

A. Any goods or services contributed to a campaign in-kind, such as printing, signage, office space and advertising need to be included by candidates when reporting on campaign contributions, depending on their total value. To value any goods or services received, one must use the equivalent lowest market value of the goods or services received as if they were sold. Please note that personal time and services donated are not meant to be captured.

Q. Can I request a person to help me vote?

A. Yes, if you are incapacitated and unable to vote on your own, or need special voting arrangements due to your personal situation, please make this known to the Returning Officer or Deputy Returning Officer, who will provide assistance through an election official or through the person accompanying you.

Q. What restrictions exist for municipal campaign contributions?

A. All contributions of money, goods or services received by a candidate with a value of over $100 (or another amount if prescribed in a municipality’s regulations) must be declared and counted by a candidate when reporting on campaign contributions received.

Candidates must submit campaign contribution reports within 90 days of the election, and the reports will be made available to the public for inspection.

Am I on the Voter List?

Are you registered to vote? You may not be registered to vote if you have:
•recently turned 18 years of age;
•moved residence;
•recently moved to Newfoundland and Labrador;
•or changed your name.

If you are not on the Voters’ List, or if any updates to information are required, please fill out our Application by clicking here. For additional information, please call 536-2010 or email townofnewwesvalley2017election@gmail.com

2017 Municipal Elections – Voters Registration – click to complete and submit the online form.