Upcoming Municipal Election

A general election of Municipal Councils is scheduled to be held on September 28th, 2021.

The Town of New-Wes-Valley need citizens like you to assume leadership roles to represent the people in your community, and to provide direction on the policies and programs that will lead to better quality services for communities.

Our town is in the process of preparing for safe and accessible municipal elections this fall.

Residents are encouraged to get involved and to consider running on September 28th.

Application For Inclusion or Change To The Voters List

Click either link below to complete Application For Inclusion or Change To The Voters List. 
Note:  Form must be completed by the voter.

Municipal Elections Act

Municipal elections are subject to the Municipal Elections Act.  Residents can reference the following link for more information.

About Municipal Government in Newfoundland & Labrador

A local level of government has responsibility over matters directly related to local communities. Like other levels of government, local governments have political leaders and institutions such as mayors, councilors, directors, agencies, boards, commissions, committees and managers. It is at the municipal level citizens can most easily contact their elected representatives, allowing citizen to take part in governing their communities as they inevitably know their own needs much better than anyone else. Many view local government as the basis of democracy.

Local government is also a training ground for those who want to further participate in the political process. Many members of Parliament and provincial legislatures were first elected at the municipal levels. In particular, representing citizens and deciding among conflicting demands for scarce council resources are useful learning experience.

The most immediate role of municipal government is the provision of services. It is only at the local level that citizens can decide for themselves the nature and extent of services for which they are willing to pay. Local government allows for a greater degree of flexibility than is the case if decisions are made by centralized agency of the provincial government.

Municipal councilors have a responsibility to provide balance in decision-making, for sound financial oversight, effective communications, to maintain relations with other levels of government and to comply with relevant legislation.

Five key areas of responsibility:

  • Balance what is best for the community – Not deliberately or consistently ignore public opinion, or alternatively, blindly follow public opinion.
  • Financial Oversight – Understand municipal financial operations, ensuring regular revenue and expenditure reports are made and that revenue equals or exceeds expenditures.
  • Communication – Provide link between citizens and council, providing citizens’ views to council and providing council information to citizens.
  • Provincial – Municipal Relations – Maintain and encourage provincial-municipal relations, recognizing provincial departments must enforce the standards and procedures applicable to all municipalities.
  • Comply with relevant legislation – Understand relevant legislation and ensure various Acts that govern municipal activities are followed.

Being elected to your local council means a big time commitment on your part. It’s important not to underestimate the amount of time and dedication required to be an effective member of council, especially if you have a full-time job as well.

If elected, you will serve a four-year term. During that time you should plan to attend the following:


  • Regular and special council meetings;
  • Meetings of council committees;
  • Meetings of other boards and agencies as a representative of council;
  • Conferences, seminars, workshops, and conventions for training and discussion; and events that promote or represent your municipality.


You may also need to spend a significant amount of time talking to the public, businesses, colleagues in other municipalities, municipal staff and your administrator. Continuing interaction with these groups is an essential part of making an informed decision as a council member.

It’s not crucial to have education or experience in a government setting to run as a candidate. You likely have skills, knowledge and abilities that are transferable to the elected official’s role. You may want to undertake a self-assessment of your skills prior to running for elected office. Think about your:
  • volunteer experience
  • community involvement
  • work experience
  • membership in different organizations
  • family life
Often your experiences have taught you how to:
  • work as part of a team
  • organize and prioritize
  • make decisions
  • debate
  • lead
Qualifications of Candidates – In order to run for council, an individual must:
  • Be eligible to vote in the municipal election.
  • Not be in arrears of taxes or other charges payable to the Town of New-Wes-Valley.
  • Be ordinarily resident for a period of 30 days before the commencement of nomination day.

Election Day – September 28th, 2021

Nomination Day will take place at the Town Hall, 202 Main Street, Wesleyville on August 31st, 2021 from 8:00 a.m to 8:00 p.m.

A candidate shall be nominated by persons eligible to vote in the Town of New-Wes-Valley. The nomination shall be in writing and in the required form. It must be signed by the proposer and seconder, both of whom shall be present together with the candidate who shall also sign signifying his or her acceptance. MEF 02 Nomination Form and Declaration of Qualifications by Candidate.

Qualifications by Candidate
If a candidate is unable to attend his or her nomination, the Returning Officer may accept, in the required form , a declaration to that effect from one of the candidate’s nominators together with a declaration from the nominator that the candidate possesses the qualification required by the Municipal Elections Act and accepts the nomination. (MEF – 03 Nomination Form for Candidates Unable to be present on nomination day).

A fee in the amount of $10, is required at the time of nomination and is not refundable.

As soon as the nomination paper is filed, the information about an individuals candidacy becomes public information.

Withdrawing Nomination – A person who has been nominated may withdraw his or her nomination by filing with the Returning Officer a written withdrawal and the nomination fee is forfeited.

Polling stations
Ward 1 – SUF Hall, Badgers Quay
Ward 2 – Jubliee United Church, Wesleyville
Ward 3 – Newtown Fire Hall, Newtown

Voting Procedures

Who can be at the polls? Election Officials, Candidates, Agents (authorized in writing, not exceeding one agent for each candidate) and the Voter (actually engaged in voting).

Election Results
The election results will be issued by the Town of New-Wes-Valley on its website at townofnewwesvalley.ca/elections. Results will be available as counted and tabulated. Ballots cannot be counted until polls close at 8:00 p.m on Tuesday, September 28th, 2021.

The official results will be declared by Returning Officer no later than 12:00 noon of the following day, giving the names of the elected candidates in descending order from the largest number of votes received. The public notice will also indicate the number of votes received by all candidates in the election.

Frequently Asked Questions

No. If you work for the council, you cannot run as a councillor. Furthermore, as a town clerk, manager or department head (including fire chief) you are not eligible to request a leave of absence. If you are a volunteer fire chief you can request a leave of absence.

No. If you work for the council, even on a temporary basis, you cannot run as a councillor unless you request a leave of absence. You may request a leave of absence from your position in order to run for council and then resume employment if you are unsuccessful.

No, you are not qualified to be a candidate if you owe taxes or other charges to that municipality.

Yes. The proposer, seconder and candidate should all be present to sign the nomination form in the presence of the Returning Officer. Where a candidate is unable to be present for their nomination, one of the proposers may sign a special nomination form on the candidate’s behalf in front of the Returning Officer.

No. The nomination list will be available within 7 days after the nominations have closed. A candidate may remove their name before the nominations are closed and that information will not be released.

Whether or not someone is an ordinarily resident will depend on: whether they live and sleep in the municipality; whether they intend to return to the municipality when they are absent; and whether their family resides in the municipality. These are all factors that need to be considered when determining whether someone is ordinarily resident. Additionally, a person may only have one place of residency for the purposes of running as a candidate.


Please note that the Returning Officer has the sole discretion to determine whether a person has satisfied the required residency requirements.

Yes. The same residency considerations as detailed above need to be considered for voting, as well as running as a candidate.

Yes, if they meet the required residency requirements. However, a student has to choose where to vote as they are only allowed to vote in either the municipality where the student is residing while at school or in the municipality where the family home is located, but not in both.

If you are already a registered voter, specific identification may not be required. However, you should confirm this with the Returning Officer.


If you are not registered as a voter, you will likely be required to show satisfactory proof of your identification and residency.

No, a proxy vote can only be used on election day.

Yes, if you are incapacitated and unable to vote on your own, or need special voting arrangements due to your personal situation, please make this known to the Returning Officer or Deputy Returning Officer, who will provide assistance through an election official or through the person accompanying you.

No. Sequential numbering should be found on a counterfoil, which should be separated from the ballot prior to depositing the completed ballot into the ballot box. therefore, there should be no way to connect the completed ballot to the voter.

An Alternate Returning Officer should only perform tasks when the Returning Officer cannot undertake their duties. Both officers should never be acting simultaneously.

After taking an oath or affirmation, agents can start their duties. Agents are allowed to observe the election activity and be present at the counting of the votes. Agents can also view the voter’s list, ask for the affirmation or oath of a voter, object to a specific voter, confirm that the ballot box is empty before the voting begins, examine ballots, object to a specific ballot and be present at a recount.

No. Agents cannot campaign or distribute campaign materials (physically or electronically (e.g., using social media) at the polling station or within 30 meters of the polling station, and must remain respectful to all voters, the electoral process, the Returning Officer and all other election officials. This includes not distributing election results until the results are officially declared by the Returning Officer.

No, the Returning Officer does not have to wait for a candidate or an agent in order to start counting the ballots. The candidate has the right to be present or have an agent present during the counting but it is the candidate’s responsibility to have a presence at each polling station that they wish to be observed. A candidate may appoint one agent per polling station.

A term of office shall begin within two weeks of being elected. Note that before starting a term of office a councillor must be sworn-in.

The Returning Officer has the authority to do the swearing-in. A Clerk, Provincial Court Judge, Justice of the Peace and Commissioner for Oaths may also swear-in newly elected/acclaimed councillors.

The Town Clerk or Returning Officer shall call a meeting within fourteen days of the election.

All contributions of money, goods or services received by a candidate with a value of over $100 (or another amount if prescribed in a municipality’s regulations) must be declared and counted by a candidate when reporting on campaign contributions received. Candidates must submit campaign contribution reports within 90 days of the election, and the reports will be made available to the public for inspection.

Any goods or services contributed to a campaign in-kind, such as printing, signage, office space and advertising need to be included by candidates when reporting on campaign contributions, depending on their total value. To value any goods or services received, one must use the equivalent lowest market value of the goods or services received as if they were sold. Please note that personal time and services donated are not meant to be captured.

A petition detailing the alleged complaint needs to be presented to the provincial court within 30 days of when the election (or alleged action) occurred in order for the matter to be reviewed by the court.