Valleyfield, Newfoundland & Labrador is a village and was served by the C.N.R. It joined the Rural District of Badger’s Quay-Valleyfield-Pool’s Island in April 1980 until 1992 when the District merged with other nearby towns to form the town of New-Wes-Valley. Valleyfield has a good harbour, and is the location of the Beothic Fisheries fish plant.
Badger’s Bay is located on Bonavista Bay, it had a population of 611 in 1956. Its name was referred to as Badger’s Bay in early census data. The name “badger” probably named after the community of Badger in Shropshire, England. Badger’s Quay is not to be confused with the town of Badger, an inland lumbering community which was named after a river that was thought to flow into Badgers Bay.
Early Settlement: Area was visited by land based seal fishermen and inshore cod fishermen from the late 18th century to the early 19th century. Settlement in the area began on Fool’s Island (now known as Pool’s Island), when the first settlers were English fishermen who came to the area in the early 19th century via Bonavista.
Pool’s Island was named Fool’s Island up until the 1850s. It was visited in the late 18th century by migratory fishermen but permanent settlement did not begin until about 1800 by seal fishermen and inshore cod fishermen. The first known resident was Anne Jeans, recorded in 1815. By 1821, a sealing captain from Greenspond, William Knee, was living on Pool’s Island, and in 1823, a Jacob Preston was there. Other family names that came to Pool’s Island were Kean, Ayles, Pope, Dalton, and Davis; many of these settlers came from Flowers Island. There was a rapid increase in population between 1845 and 1869 when the population grew from 177 to 524, mainly because of the Labrador seal hunt and Pool’s Island was in the path of the harp seal migration route. The growth of Pool’s Island eventually led to the growth of communities surrounding it, such as Valleyfield and Badger’s Quay.
Situated near Wesleyville, it was formerly named Norton’s Cove but was changed in 1879 when Captain Abram Kean and his family of nine moved there and renamed it Brookfield. Norton’s Cove was settled after 1874 and by 1891 had a population of 147 people; in 1911 the population had grown to 372. The community has since been incorporated into the new municipality of New-Wes-Valley, along with several other former villages.
Wesleyville is located on the Straight Shore of Bonavista Bay, on the northeast coast of Newfoundland, near the communities of Greenspond and Newtown. It was settled in the early 19th century, when residents relocated from nearby islands.
The first settlers originally lived on Swain’s Island, which is often called the “parent of Wesleyville.” They moved to the mainland between 1870 and 1930 to what is now called Wesleyville. Wesleyville was named in 1884 after John Wesley, one of the founders of the Methodist movement.
By 1891 the population was close to 2,000. The town relied mostly on the Labrador fishery. With the decline of the fishery in the 1930s the population of Wesleyville began to decrease; there was less than 1, 000 people living there by 1945.
When roads, a hospital, and a highway were built in the 1950s, services and businesses began to improve, thus helping the population grow once more. In 1959, a central high school was also built in Wesleyville.
The population peaked in mid-century at about 1,200. Wesleyville is now part of the municipality of New-Wes-Valley, with a population of approximately 2,800. The municipality comprises the villages and towns of the area, including Pool’s Island, Badger’s Quay, Valleyfield, Brookfield, Wesleyville, Pound Cove, Templeman, and Newtown. The main employer today is a fish processing plant located in Valleyfield, owned by Beothic Fish Processors. Wesleyville is famous for its involvement, historically, in the sealing industry.
Pound Cove is located north of Wesleyville. In 1884 Pound Cove was listed as “Punch Cove” with a population of 106. It was inhabited by people from Flowers Island and Pinchard’s Island. Pound Cove was settled during the Labrador fishery and by 1890 there were 114 people living there; 68 of them were members of the Church of England. In 1901 the population had slightly increased to 168 with 89 Church of England members, 65 Methodists, and 14 members of the Salvation Army. In 1992, Pound Cove joined with the town of Wesleyville.
In 1899 a Church of England school was built and served as a chapel in Pound Cove as well. A Methodist school-chapel was built in 1908; a school was not built until 1948.
Since 1992 the community has been a part of the Town of New-Wes-Valley.
Templeman is located on the north side of Bonavista Bay just south of Cape Freels and north of Wesleyville. It offers a shallow and rocky harbour, therefore its harbour can only accommodate and is only suitable for small boats.
This fishing community was originally named Fox Cove and was settled in the 1870s. Settlers that came to Templeman were from nearby islands such as Bennett’s Island, Cobbler’s Island, and Pinchard’s Island. Some of the family names that came from those areas, to Templeman, are Green, Tuff, Howell, and Vincent. The decision to settle in Templeman was most likely due to the Labrador Fishery.
Templeman first appears in the 1884 Census with a population of 75. By 1901 the population had increased to 225 people. However, with the collapse of the Labrador fishery in the 1930s, Templeman’s population suffered a sharp decline. In 1921 there were 51 families living in Templeman, by 1971 there were only 55 people. As time passed, Templeman’s population was able to rebound just slightly as people from Wesleyville moved there. Templeman became part of Wesleyville in 1992. The community is now a part of the town of New-Wes-Valley.
Newtown is a part of the Municipality of New-Wes-Valley, located at the North end of Bonavista Bay. The approximate population is 400. Settlement in Newtown originated around 1850 when people relocated from nearby areas. Newtown is well known for being built on many small islands, and is the home of the Barbour Living Heritage Village.